br> < Through My Eyes >
Google

Sunday, March 13, 2005

Memories of my father and smoking

It has been almost 3 years now since my father passed away, that was 5/4/2002. He was just 63 years old. I can still visualized how I went to the mortuary to collect his body( he passed away in the hospital). How I changed his shirt and pants in the mortuary before been put in the coffin later. Since I am the eldest it was my responsibities to see that all is done to the best of my abilities. It's a norm for me to change the clothing's for my father even though he has passed away, I think he would appreciated me to dressed him up rather than to let the funeral undertakers do it.
My father passed away due to cancer of the lungs. He was diagnosed for lung cancer 2 years before he passed away and had been going for his cancer treatment (radiation and chemotherapy). His condition improved very much after the initial treatment for 6 months and he was having lots of fun going holidays with his friends to a few destination. Unfortunately the cancer reoccured after 1 year and slowly but surely his condition deteriorated. Soon he could not passed urine and a tube had to be inserted, weeks later he could not walked I( his limbs just be came week). So he was in bed most of the time sleeping or just lying down thus causing the bedsore. There were a lot of pain, he was suffering and my family try our best to give him the best we could give him (quality life).
Well, my father was a heavy smoker,(not to mention a Gunniess drinker) he used to tell us and his grandchildren that he started smoking at a very young age,17 years old .This means he has been smoking for nearly 46 years, OMG. Fortunately none of his children smoke and hopefully that goes with all his grandchildren. It must be due to his smoking that lead to his sickness. He always remind us not to follow his smoking habits since he knows its bad at the same time waste of money. He always says that if you don't smoke the chances of you doing drugs are NIL. I always instill this message to my children so that they know that smoking is not cool but brings lots of problems later. I know that peer pressure can lead to smoking,out of curiousity and get addicted to the habit. My only hope is that my children don't pick up this bad habit because it will definitely ruin their's life.


Memory of My Father Posted by Hello

5 Comments:

Blogger Peter said...

May your father rest in peace.

12:42 AM  
Blogger kennysia said...

I have been coming to this site on and off, but I have to say... the similarity between you and me is amazing. I doubt you've been following my site, but I'm undergoing a similar situation. My father is also a heavy smoker, and is now diagnosed with kidney cancer which has since been metastated to the lungs.

Keep writing. Your writing has a very down-to-earth feel to it that cannot be denied.

1:02 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

peter: thanks man

kenny: Yes I have read some of your blog and kind of similarity we have( except I am in my 40s LOL). I think the best we can give to our dad is the attention he needs and whatever he request becos it won't be long before he leave us.

10:10 AM  
Blogger Yoong Family said...

i'm sorry, man. I hope the both of you had time to say your goodbyes. A friend of mine passed on due to cancer (at 34), i didn't get to see him one more time.

http://wheregot.blogspot.com/2005/03/dont-forget-to-turn-out-lights.html

10:52 AM  
Blogger Mumsgather said...

My mom died of cancer of the womb (not due to smoking lah) at 46, when I was 10. The chemo and the pain is difficult for everyone so I too hope that ppl won't take up smoking and those who do can quit though its really hard once started becos its an addiction. You've got to have resolve of steel in order to stop.

2:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home