br> < Through My Eyes >
Google

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Swearing on the blogs.

I browse through many blogs over a period of time. As usual some of the blogs I read more others less. I guess everyone does the same here. What do you think when we write our rants we should swear it out? (because of stressed) Since it's our own private journal and we can do whatever we want. I can agree that's our space and our rights. But should we swear in our rants for whatever reasons? maybe. The swear words here I meant are the ones that are vulgar or offensive as well as the famous F@*#.

I have said in a few comments :- "Blame the reader not the blogger. If you don’t like the blog don’t come near it. Simple as that.". True to this statement, for me if I am not comfortable with blogs that swear too much I will just move on. That's typically me, no quarrels. Here what I am saying is, if you swear on your blogs all the time using the vulgar or offensive words. Pause ....... (I am not referring to anyone here). Just think for awhile............. what will people think of you? not your blog but physically you. Worst if they know who you are by appearance. But if you think you are comfortable with the labeling that you always swear and it's kind of cool and alright , so be it. Remember to always think of the cause and effect. I am not saying we cannot swear but swear diligently. (kind of a balance act) Believe me without realising, it might become a habit if we are not careful on swearing. And when we swear it's very little we can take back what we swore.

Generally as we grower older maybe wiser we don't swear that much or rather we don't swear with the "taboo words " that is too extreme. You can check this out from Orion, here and here

Personally I try not to swear at all because I believe it reflects badly on me.(not only on my blogs as well as in everyday speaking) What if my children reads my blogs and find that their dad always use the swear words. Can't imaging this going to happen, can I. Especially when we are talking/ writing and it's the other half that's is going to judge us. But to all of us to err is human but hopefully we can correct it as we go along.

16 Comments:

Blogger Jeanette said...

it's cool that i don't have children yet.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Lai Fong said...

I know what you mean. Once, when riding in bus, a bunch of young hobos sat right behind me. Every single sentence uttered had a sprinkling of F words. And that went on and on right through the bus ride. Totally put me off.

Another time, I watched a British boutique movie, an excellent movie on young street kids in UK. By necessity then, the language was totally foul. Even so, it left a depressing aftertaste in my psyche.

An overdose of swearing turns me off.

8:28 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

I'll always remember what a school teacher said about 'swear' words like F*** and such.
These words are usually uttered in disrespect of the person, place or thing. What many people miss is that in uttering such words, you disrespect yourself most of all.
Like many people, I went through that stage, I'm glad it didn't last too long. Now, when I hear such words, my estimation of that individual plummets. Regardless of how kind, large, smart or famous he/is in real life.

Admittedly, there are still a few ocassions when such words can fly out of my unguarded lips. Always, almost as soon as they are out, I feel absolutely stupid and immature and well, foul in the mouth.

I definitely need to work harder on self-restraint to keep such ocassions to a minimum.

10:44 AM  
Blogger Kamigoroshi said...

I don't know...to me. Swearing is completely...normal. I usually use it to informally stress a point...especially an emotional one. I for one wouldn't mind my kids swearing even at a young age. It's just that I have to start teaching my kids where and when to swear and the effect that swearing will have for the people around them. That's important.

Getting that right, they can have the worst words you can ever hear.

After all...if their father uses it. Why would it be a double standard?

11:31 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

kamigoroshi: I think maybe it's the up bringing and the environment that you are exposed too.Nevertheless if you feel comfortable with it then so be it, like i have said.

swearing has a lot of impact on us i believe.(especially if you swear on strangers)

11:39 AM  
Blogger Kamigoroshi said...

Hence the responsibility we have to impart to our future generations. Not pure abstinence from it. Like a gun...it has its time and place for using it. Not all of it bad. Not all of it good. :)

12:16 PM  
Blogger Lai Fong said...

It's quite normal to utter an expletive in the heat of the moment. Most people do it, that's ok. But there are people who swears as part of their normal day to day communications, they take F words for granted as they do sunshine and fresh air. I remember once in my early teens, me neighbour's house was being renovated. All day long I could hear cantonese swear words used by the construction workers. Ewwwwww !

12:56 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

kami makes quiet an interesting point - about where and when and the effect swearing has on others. In that position is a regard for respecting others, a most redeeming quality.

1:41 PM  
Blogger thquah said...

kami: what you said is correct, the responsibilities when we swear.I too do not believe in total abstain.At least there must be good judgement.

tinkerbell: that's precisely what I meant .Every word we write /speak the extreme comes out. urghssssssssss.

percolator: everyone of us swear when we are in the heat of the situation but do it sensibly.

on another note: there was a case recently in Penang of swearing between strangers that lead to one party been senseless killed.What a silly and pityful such things happened.So you would never know, when you swear things might not go your way.

2:57 PM  
Blogger percolator said...

There are so many, many words in the english language to express a multitude of emotions - literally a smorgasboard, dim sum, buffet, a pasar malam!! It beats me why people choose to restrict themselves to those same old boring ones.

I sometimes suspect it's either plain laziness or simply a lame attempt to cover the bankruptcy of ideas/arguments.

Form over substance. Whereforth originality ?

4:50 PM  
Blogger sweetspirits said...

Well i am the same as you Thquah
it would be a very rare thing for me to swear , my house rules apply to everyone.No one is allowed to swear in my home, and what others do is up to them.I rarely read blogs with posts containing swear words, i simply leave if i don't like it.

Cheers n tcz

11:56 PM  
Blogger Lai Fong said...

About blogs with swear words, sometimes I would go kaypoh look-see at some 'high profile' blogs and emerged quite surprised at how such blogs could have become popular with swear words left right and center and immature content.

6:46 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

percolator: aiyah you surely can express better than most of us lo. You're so gifted with words.see all your rants are so deep(words and thoughts)actually sometimes I am lost but after a few read it's OK.hehehehe.

I can say I call it a lack of imagination or just a poor grasp of writing fundamentals(for me), but I get the distinct impression of your writings.I think tinkerbell has also said these.

sweetspirit: glad we are the kind who have the same thoughts and principles, maybe we are the older generation folks,lol

tinkerbell: maybe some of the readers just like the swearing more.It could be due to the swearing that makes the blog so popular.anyway lets move on since it's their blog, space and responsibility.
9:03 AM

9:12 AM  
Blogger percolator said...

hey th,
guess what? just when you said no one would want to copy your humble blog, up comes this new blog by the very same name as yours!!! "through my eyes" no less!! You 'femes' liao!! LOL!!!

8:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swearing is bad. Everyone knows that. But sometimes, anger takes over your mind and, ta-da, the f-word comes out. Not that I always use that word. I'm trying to control my outbursts though =) I realize I do hurt people with what I say, so I try to calm down before doing anything stupid.

12:17 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

myching:control your outburst and I am sure you be a better person.Swearing might just give us the egoist bestow upon us nothing more.If you were to pause and think after you have swore you might regret it.Then it's a bit too late.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home