br> < Through My Eyes >
Google

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Ulam or Salad, my family enjoy!

DSCF0075

My mini garden-daun cekur.(Capture this photo with morning dew on the leaves)

Ulam is a name given for an herb plants that we can eat raw or dip in boiled water before eating with rice. Daun cekur, daun kaduk, daun kesom, daun pegaga, daun pudina (mint leaf), buah petai are some of the many traditional ulam.

Ulam usually are mix together with budu (pickled tiny fish), cencaluk (pickled tiny shrimp) or sambal belacan (chili with shrimp paste) before it goes with rice.

DSCF0077

Two plots of daun cekur just pluck and eat.

Ulam is very popular dish that is serving daily among the Malay community in the kampung. Ulam is taken from various parts of a plant that can be eaten. The various parts are the roots, leaves, seed and fruit.

Vegetables normally is consider ulam, if it’s eaten raw. Vegetables that are consider ulam are cucumber, cabbage and eggplant. Traditional ulam as mention above are ones that needed for the preparation of nasi ulam or nasi kerabu (buffalo rice).

Ulam had being claimed to be good for diabetes and high blood pressure. I don’t know how true this is? Perhaps more research could be done to prove it has many beneficial health properties.

My family have been eating ulam since my grandma days until today.(except my kids) This is because of the family background; my grandma is of nyonya heritage and we just follow the eating habits of the family until became a norm to all of us.

9 Comments:

Blogger percolator said...

Aw gee... you put me to great shame, th.

I am Malaysian, and yet I have never seen much less tasted these greens in my life. And I had not the foggiest idea what ulam is till you blogged about it.

*hangs head in shame* OK, I must, I must, I must try at the first opportunity try nasi ulam and salad.

4:15 PM  
Blogger thquah said...

Ai yoh, you must try it at least once.Usually the Malays eat more ulam than the Chinese that why you don't know about ulam.

8:43 AM  
Blogger Lrong Lim said...

Daun cekur... I love it so much... my missus too, and she is Japanese... we mix it with basil, lightly fry in a little sesame oil, and eat with steamed white chicken... absolutely lovely... btw, my mum is nyonya too.. probably this stuff flowed in through her...

11:45 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

lrong; looks like we enjoy nyonya cuisine. Have you planted any daun cekur at your gareden?

12:29 PM  
Blogger Mumsgather said...

You have all these growing in your garden??! I'm so jeles!! I love nasi ulam but didn't know the ingredients till now. I wanted to try out the otak-otak recipe in the Star Kuali. They had daun limau purut at 50 cents for just a few miserable stalks but no daun kadok. Can mail me some ah? Hehe.

12:47 PM  
Blogger thquah said...

mg:Yes the daun cekur is grown in my mini garden plus a few others limau perut,pandan,lime,serai,curry leaves.(mostly in pots). Ai yo if you are in Penang then and come over and pluck lo.
All these needy are very easy to plant and save alot of hassle going to the market to buy them.Most of the time we just need a few of each.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Buaya69 said...

wah, makes me wanna start my own patch at the back. i love ulam! ;)

10:51 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

Sure can start your own ,very easy only.some more can eat the daun cekur anything.that's the best.meh

12:31 PM  
Blogger domesticgoddess said...

the flower of the cekur plant is lovely too! the root is normally used to cook 'hong bak' and 'chai tao kueh' :)

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home