br> < Through My Eyes >
Google

Friday, April 15, 2005

Teenage kids always into cyber chatting.

It has been all this while, giving my kids easy access to the internet. Whether it's for their school work (assignment) or just chatting with friends. If we as parents do not allow them to use the internet for their own purpose such as chatting then they will start to complain and compare with their friends who can have all the time on the internet. Actually I only let my kids use the internet only when they have assignment weekdays and they can do their chatting on weekends (1-2 hours only) The problem is that when they are doing their assignment as they claim to do on the computer searching for materials they will be at the same time chatting (now I found out that my son is using web cam chatting with girls). The rules I have set is that if you do your assignment searching for materials no chatting, all chatting programs have to be disconnected!!!,banned. I trust my kids that they will follow my rules but my son did not as my wife found out yesterday. He as usual says that he was doing his school assignment but my wife check on him and found out that he was busy chatting away with web cam. She have finally gave him a lecture and have grounded him from using the internet for 1 month. Good for him at least he knows rules are to be followed. Sometimes I feel that these chatting; Messenger (MSN, Yahoo, etc) is a waste of time for the kids. My kids will give all kind of excuse for chatting over the net such as it's part of growing up, all my friends are into it. blah, blah, blah. I wonder how other parents handle this chatting nuisance? Welcome to parenting young teenage kids.





Computers used by my kids Posted by Hello

6 Comments:

Blogger 5xmom.com said...

My eldest is 15yrs and 2nd 13 yrs old. They do chat a LOT. Most of these girls and boys (usually it is girls)are people they met from scouts camp etc. So, I have to close one eye because I figure -
if I don't let them go online at home, they may find excuses to go to cybercafe after school and it is cheaper than sms and phone charges. *sigh* It is indeed challenging.

BTW, your kids know about your blog? Mine does. 15 yrs old never read but 13 yrs old do surf sometimes.

11:52 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

5xmom : My kids know about my blog but they don't read it as far as know. My son is 15 yrs & daughter is 14 yrs.

3:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose a bunch of ground rules will instill dicipline into your kids.

But if you restrict your kids too much, they'll just get uneasy and fidgety and will always be thinking about the next time they go online.

Let them find their own equilibrium between the internet and their studies. 15 years old is still an alright age for you to try this on him. His own examination results will scare him into submission.

Like me; I started using the Internet when i was 11 and no doubt it was crazy hours everyday..but soon, like they all say, there can be too much of a good thing.. hence, you have your equilibrium.

10:49 AM  
Blogger thquah said...

Jayelle: thanks , actually just about a week ago I decide to let them use the internet anytime they want but they must at least produce the exam results expected from them.Hopefully they will know how to manage their time wisely.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Well being a mum of five, i actually stopped my eldest daughter from chatting when she was 14 bcoz her older bro told me blah blah blah.As for my eldest son it was him who got me into chatting yrs ago but i don't really chat very often now.As for my 14 yr old daughter i don't let her go to chatrooms but she can chat with her friends from school,that is my rules.Oh and my younger boys chat with their eldest bro and friends but aren't allowed in chatrooms.
cheers

9:43 PM  
Blogger thquah said...

sweetspirit: I think as parents, we are scared that something bad might happen to our kids.Chatting with friends they know is OK not into chatrooms(Chatrooms are a NO,NO)

9:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home